Saturday 8 December 2012

Body: Sandals in winter, the aftermath

It's the second day that I'm wearing boots again when I'm going outside. My heels are slowly recovering and are getting less painful. I'm still walking barefoot inside the house, though. I've gotten so used to the nice benefits right now, that I'm taking my shoes off whenever I can.

To start with, I don't have cold feet anymore when walking inside the house without shoes. Same goes for when I'm going to bed. I used to have difficulty getting my feet warm, but now they always feel warm when I go to sleep.

Secondly, your feet become more efficient in storing the heat inside them. I've noticed that, when I go outside for a first time, let's say for half an hour, they start to get pretty cold. If I go inside for a short time and then go outside again I can walk for as long as I want, because they don't get that cold anymore. They store the heat and don't release it as easily anymore.

Thirdly, you become more aware of your environment. I'm way more careful where I plant my feet when I'm walking around in sandals, because I don't want to bump into anything hard or sharp. It made me wonder why on earth we started to use these hard, harsh materials as building materials.

Lastly, your feet become a sort of thermometer. After a while I could tell what temperature it was, off by a degree or two, by sensing it with my feet. Yesterday, when I walked around with boots for the first time again I really felt weird. It was like I was missing a sense. I even deliberately took my hands out of my pockets to register the cold better. Of course my hands weren't as well adapted to the cold as my feet, so I had to put them back in my pockets after a while.

I really recommend walking around like this. Just be careful and get proper footwear before starting this! And yes, I will continue this challenge as soon as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment