Sunday 21 October 2012

Motivations: 27, a year passed, another year arriving

I turned 27 today, a good time to reflect about the past year and think about the year that's coming.

Last year I started travelling around this period. My original plans were to go to Santiago de Compostela on foot from my home town. Didn't really turn out that way and I'm really glad it turned out the way it did. I've seen and experienced so many things.
I went on foot from Leuven to the border of France with a way too heavy backpack. Lesson learned there. It was very hard physically, but even more mentally when I was at the border, knowing that I would never make it to my destination. When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. That's something I  really learned in that period. I changed my plans and started travelling with no specific destination in mind.
I experienced the kindness and hospitality of so many people. Thank you all! A special thanks to Laurel, who let me stay in Paris for a couple of months at her place. She really is the Mother Theresa of Couchsurfing. You're truly an inspiration! :).  
I met so many wonderful people from all over the world and I'm sure I'll see most of them again somewhere in my life. I still remember some of those unique moments I shared with those people very vividly. At that moment it always made me wonder "How on earth did I end up in this situation with this person?"
Ending up underneath the Eifel tower drinking wodka with a Polish guy, dancing in a mosh pit with a Serbian guy at a punk party in a squat, walking around on a cemetery with an American girl and get lost afterwards, going to a psytrance party with a Portugese and Turkish girl, ending up in a weird jungle shop in London with a Brazilian guy, going to a rave party on the beach in the Netherlands with some Dutch people and a Canadian girl, having deep philosophical conversations with an Argentinian girl while drinking maté in Bretagne,... These unique moments and so many more that I can't possibly sum them all up here. Thank you all for making this happen! :)

When I got back I knew this lifestyle was more in line with my heart than I ever could 've imagined, so I started to manage my life so I could continue in this direction.
I quit my job in the organic store I was supposed to return to after six months. It just wasn't the thing I wanted to do in life and I felt I could do more than this. I wasn't exploring my limits and wasn't reaching my potential this way.
I also reduced all my belongings to the point where I could fit it all in a backpack. It took me a couple of months to achieve this, but I finally got to that point not too long ago.  
I started moving from place to place in Belgium to continue the nomadic lifestyle I got used to, mostly to Leuven, Gent and Mons.
One day, when I was in Mons, I started this blog. A handy tool to share what I'm working on with others and for myself to keep track of certain things.

When I got back from my trip it also didn't take long for me to start working on some ecological projects again. It began with the Climate Action Camp which took place really close to the place I grew up. It became something personal because of that and I'm still working on the project that came out of that camp. I also recently started a personal project, called the eco-nomad project. Since a couple of days I work as a paid volunteer for Voedselteams, an organisation working on sustainable alternative food distribution systems.

I guess that somewhat sums up what I've done in the last year and I probably forgot to mention some things. Now that I'm rereading the above again I can't really believe I did all that in just one year. It feels like I packed a couple years into one very intense year full of change. I'm really grateful for the past year and I hope this will continue into the next one.

There are some things that I want to realize in the year that's coming.
I want to work further on socio-ecological projects. This for the simple reason that I eventually want to live a life that has a positive impact on my surroundings. I want to be part of the solution. Not only for this year, but for all the years after that until the end.
But most of all I want to share it with others.

So if you want to support or help me with some of the projects I'm working on that would be lovely and I would be very grateful. Here a few suggestions:
If you are from Leuven you can help by doing a few things:
- We are always looking for helping hands when we are working on Parkveld.
- For my eco-nomad project I'm still looking for some places in Leuven where I can sleep for a couple of days.
- If you're not from here, but you still want to support the things I'm doing, you can by giving a small donation: 523-0421521-34

If you want to have more information on something or want to help, just let me know. :) Thank you!
On to the next year.

2 comments:

  1. It is beautiful what you are doing Pete. I wish you good luck and better prospects to achieve the best in all your endeavors.
    May the inspiration stay or increase with every step you take.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete