Monday 29 October 2012

Body: No closed shoes in winter

Recently I decided to take on another personal challenge: To go without closed shoes for as long as I can! Until a couple a days ago that was fairly easy. Now it begins to be more challenging, which is a good thing because it's a 'challenge' after all. :)

The reason why I'm doing this is mainly because I want to see how well my body, or at least my feet,  will adapt to the cold. I'm always amazed about what our body can endure and is able to adapt to a certain situation. This is one way to feel it first hand and it will have some advantages when it succeeds. No buying of expensive winter shoes anymore, being able to walk in a more healthy way, reducing my ecological impact because I need less material to cover my feet, another product I'm not dependent on anymore and so reducing my dependency on consumer products.

If it succeeds I'll go to the next fase, which would be wearing huaraches, those sandals I told about in an earlier post. I tried them already a couple of times, but my feet aren't hardened enough yet for wearing them constantly, so that's why I'm doing this fase first.

At the moment I'm still wearing the sandals I've worn through all summer. Last couple of days it suddenly got a lot colder, so I really felt that. It's around 5 degrees Celsius at the moment. It feels cold, but not to the point where it's really uncomfortable and I'm under the impression that I'm already getting used to these temperatures. So far so good. For people who aren't from around here: It can easily go below zero in Belgium in winter.

Anyone in these regions interested in doing the same? Would be fun to encourage each other in this challenge. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment